Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"Finally Something about me"

Well after some quick copy paste from my other blog and my website, I am going to type something ...

Let me talk about myself.

No no no, don't worry not to long, short simple and sweet. I am "A" person living in Pune, India, who has completed his MS in Software Systems from BITS Pilani.

Well I will begin with my MS...

I submitted my thesis on 30 sept and went to pilani to defend in 17th nov. Project was on Associative Morhping, a new concept for morphing meshed bodies based on ideas presented by Brian Huf (Sr. Director, MSC USA). We all call him GURUJI !!!. He is simply brilliant and very very down to earth. He is presently visiting India, and unlike most foreigner's, he tries out every indian dish without cribbing about anything. He really likes it. He has any outlook of a very curious toddler, who looks at world with total appreciation, read to accept any lesson that world will give him, to learn whatever is out there with completely open mind without any present conceptions. Hats off to Guruji. One must have that kind of attitude and I am very happy I got a chance to meet one such absolutely brilliant person.

Well back to Project trip...

Let for Jaipur on 15th by plane from mumbai. Then on 16th had a 6 hour bus drive from Jaipur to nowhere, A place called Pilani. It is a small town with no hotels or anything. It's not a town, but a village with the university campus probably taking up most of the space. Luckily the university has a nice guest hotel. On 17th successfully defended my project called "Associative Morphing". The examiner was so impressed that he gave me marks right in front of me and showed me the grade, "EXCELLENT" :). Then again one long 6 hour ride back to jaipur. On 18th went with Jaipur tourism one trip bus and saw almost all Jaipur. And back to Pune on 19th.
Some more details about BITS, Pilani.We arrived in BITS Pilani campus on 16th midnight. And thankfully, VFAST is open 24 hrs. After showing our hall tickets, we where allocated rooms. Cost is rs 350 for 24hrs inclusive of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Where nice and comfortable rooms... and clean.

The Pilani campus is huge. On 17 th we had to report by 9.30 to the faculty division 3 of main BITS building. It is around 10-15 mins walk from VFAST. On the way, one passes by Hostels, staff quaters and lawns and grounds... Besides the main building is the BITS science museum. It's very nice museum with number of miniature models of different heavy industries. The museum reminded me a bit of the museum in Bangalore (on Kasturbha gandhi road), don't remember the name though. The museum has it's own miniature coal mine. It's good place to visit.

My viva was at 4 pm. So from 11 pm to 4, I roamed around and saw the museum, Birla mandir (wonderful temple.. must see, but have some weird timings...) Shiv ganga (saw it from distance) and the main building. One has to walk a lot, and because it is Rajsathan and we where carrying our 5kg laptops with us... it was tiring.

After the viva, went to the Library. Thats a superb building and wonderful library. Do note that if your carrying ur laptop with u in bag, then tell that to door keeper and donot deposit ur bag with door keeper. (Actually the door keeper himself told me this...).

But for me library is a place where one sits down and reads... Well generally people arriving have very less time to read books. So my advise is, see the building from outside, go inside and check the Paintings... and then leave immediately, don't waste time.

Now couple of things I would mention is, Roads in Jaipur and Rajasthan. They are awesome. Smooth, flat and dead straight roads. It was amazing. And there are really no turns on the road. Amzing....

And secondly.... rickshaw drivers in Jaipur .... !@#$@!#. For going 12 kms they charged 200 bucks.... Offcourse, thanks my BARGAINING and very very special KAV KAV skills, I managed to pay Rs 90 once (it was midnight so it was ok...) Rs 60 (morning) and 65 (evening). They recognise tourist very very easily. Thats really sad, because Jaipur is well known tourist destination.

Apart from above minor stuff Jaipur is a great city to visit. The Rajathan government arranges one day Jaipur darshan buses. Simply book ticket for one of them and all important places in Jaipur will be covered in one day. They all arrange night buses. This trip is for visiting palaces at night which have beautiful lighting installed.

-Essentially Unessential


General Post Ring - New Post
General Post Ring - Old Post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, I thank you for writing this blog. I got admission for MS Software Systems from BITS, Pilani. Can you pls. pass me the old question papers for MS?
Here goes my mail ID: anoopjshetty@zapak.com